The Facts About Auto Insurance
Auto insurance is a complicated matter. Many people have an insurance policy but do not exactly understand how they are covered or what they will do if they find themselves in the position of needing to utilize their insurance. Below are the basic parts of a typical car insurance policy:
- Liability Coverage – This type of coverage covers the damages when you are at fault in an accident,and you cause injury, or damage someone else’s car or property. Liability coverage is often mandated by law, so it is important that you as the driver make certain you have an adequate amount. However, choosing the State Minimum Required coverage is an option that should be avoided at all cost. A word of caution... the limits on your policy are what your insurance will pay, NOT what you may owe, so limits should be adequate.
- First Party Benefits – Medical payments pay for any injuries to the driver, or possibly passengers, that occur if an accident occurred while you were driving. In PA, First Party Benefits follow you around, and can apply to you even if you are not in your own vehicle. Additional coverage can also include Work Loss Benefits, Accidental Death Benefits and Funeral Benefits.
- Collision Coverage – Collision coverage provides money to repair your vehicle -- whether you have hit something, or perhaps you are hit by someone where the other company is delaying payment, doesn't exist, or just taking too long.
- Comprehensive Coverage – This covers anything that may happen to your car that is not directly related a collision. This would include things such as theft, fire, glass, flood, falling objects (such as a tree limb), hitting a deer, or vandalism.
- Uninsured Motorist and Underinsured Motorists Coverage – Provides payment for you should you be seriously injured by someone who is either not insured, or does not have enough coverage and you are seeking additional damages. While not mandatory, this type of claim frequently is used for serious accidents where the injuries are sometimes permanent or painful.
Now that you understand a bit more about the different types of auto insurance available, you are probably ready to find the right coverage for you. The best way to do this is to work with an independent agency. By doing this, you can rest assured you are getting the best deal as well as getting the personal attention you need.
For a quote, either fill out the basic information above under "Instant Quote", or you can visit the following sites for a more detailed quote: